Re: CF: server segfault

On Dec 21,  5:24pm, Christian Stieber wrote:

> That's an old bug. Mark already told me that he won't fix it since he
> thinks that it doesn't affect normal gameplay :-( Back then I reported
> this because the server crashed when I opened a very full bag; alter
> on I reported it when I opened a very full bag an pressed "a"; even later
> I reported it when I made a pile of objects in my apartment and crashed
> the server that way. No response, since this is probably all caused by
> the "I won't fix that bug" bug.

 Actually, 0.95.1 does include some server side buffering.

 However, there is still a limit (which can be changed at compile time) for
this buffer.  However, if there are huge gobs of stuff, this can still be a
problem (huge gobs would mean hundreds of different objects).

> The crash happens because a _fixed_ (!!!) size buffer overflows. He has
> already increased the size of the buffer, but that doesn't fix the problem,
> of course.

 The buffer is fixed at compile time.  If you make unlimited sized buffers, I
can guarantee that the server will quickly consume all the memory on the
machine the first time a player is doing something and suspends the client -
the server will keep spewing data since the connection isn't actually closed -
the remote end just isn't processing.

 At some point, there server has to give up on that client.

 When the output detects that the buffer would overflow, it should drop the
connection to the client.  So the buffer shouldn't overflow, but there could
certainly be some bug in the code where it is still tossing more data in.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com