Re: CF: Patch: find keys in containers

On Feb 18,  2:34pm, Preston F. Crow wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Patch: find keys in containers
> >this is just a very simple change: it will search special keys in
> >containers, not just the main inventory. Avoids the annoying
> >"where is that stupid key...".
>
> Just a thought:
>
> Maybe it would make sense for keys "in" a keyring to count as if they
> were in the main inventory, but not keys in other containers.  I assume
> there's a special flag in the keyring archetype that says keys are
> allowed; if that flag isn't set in generic hold-anything containers,
> it should be easy to check it.
>
> You could also have it only work if the keyring is active or open.
> I'm not sure how I feel on that, though.

 This might be one of those things which personal preferance plays a big part.

 I don't remember who did the original keyring code, but I believe one of the
ideas was that keys in the ring would NOT be automatically used - he was tired
of accidentally running into doors and opening them.

 Now granted, with the special keys, this is a bit less of an issue, as chances
are you will want to use the key when you can.

 So ideally, this should be a user preferance (set use_keyrings true/false or
something).

 Note that I don't think it should search through all containers - it should
only search the keyring (other containers can be considered closed - if we are
going to search through all containers, some time penalty should be imposed
that takes into account opening the sack, rumaging through it, trying that
particular key in a door, etc.)  Keyrings can make sense to not use as much
time, as all contents of that 'container' (the keyring) are clearly visible,
and thus very easy to search.

 I have personally never used keyrings much - keys never way enough that weight
savings are significant, and being there is only one key type, I generally only
have a few keys in the inventory anyways, so they hardly clutter it enough to
bother.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com