Re: CF: Client and images

On Feb 25, 10:21am, Scott MacFiggen wrote:
> Subject: CF: Client and images
>
> I was thinking about the clients the other day and I'm curious
> why the clients don't come packaged with the images.
> Does anyone remember why this decision was made?

 Not sure what exactly you are asking.

 if you are asking why don't the clients come packaged with a set of images
native to the system they are running on (windows bmp or whatever else), the
problem is that various servers may have added images since the client was
created.  In that case, the client will obviously still need to be able to
download some images and convert them.

 If you are asking why the cfclient doesn't come with a set of images for
caching, the answer to that is client side image caching was only added to the
latest version, so before that it was never an issue.

 I would note that including the complete images for the client would add
considerably to the client download size.  It might be more reasonable to just
write a little perl script and include it in the 'arch' distribution which will
take the images and store them in the directory structure that the client uses
for images (wastes some space (ie, you will end up tossing out all the .arc
files), but keeps the client download size small and reduces the number of
individual packages that would need to be maintained.)

 Furthermore, a seperate image archive for the client would make sense,, since
generally few images are changed/added between each release (the few that are
added could be downloaded and cached easily enough).  So having to download all
the images on each client update would be quite a bit of a waste.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com