Re: CF: suggestions

On Feb 28,  4:21pm, Steven Unruh wrote:
> Subject: CF: suggestions
> hello,
> i've intoduced some new people to crossfire and they have the following
> suggestions:
>
> 1) allow a character to change its name

 Possible.  Not as simple as it might seem, since some items (ie, improved
weapons) might be tied to his name.

> 2) also its password

 Pretty trivial to add.

> 3) a way to split the wizard and priest spells on the screen
> 	or only display one class at a time.

 I thought there was some way of doing that now.  I will have to double
check.

> 4) bigger viewing area

 A bigger area could mean either:

 1) The pixmaps are bigger (right now, they are 24x24, which isn't all
that big.)  This in theory wouldn't be really hard to do, as the client
could try to double the size on its own.

 2) more of the map than an 11x11 area is displayed.  Support of this in
the server is problematic - the current protocol makes some assumptions of
the map size (all of which are true right now), but if it got too large,
that would need to be changed.

 Also, many maps are designed knowing how much the player can see (ie,
if you are on one side of a grate, you can only see 5 spaces beyond).

 In theory, larger maps could be nice, and not shift the balance too much
if implement properly (ie, like with darkness, a max visibility of the
maps could be added - 5 spaces, 8 spaces, whatever)  Also, adding
more partial coverage could be added (one line of trees may not block
your view, but 2 or 3 deep might.)  But all this adds a lot of complication,
and the larger the visible map, the more time that will need to be spent
calculating line of site (might be exponential to that, but not sure.)

> 5) have bind replace a key entry and not just the last one on the list

 Make sense.

> 6) some idea of your chances of learning a new spell

 Is that in any of the docs?

> 7) why can you learn a new spell if you can't even cast it yet?

 Good question.

> 8) an idea how much damage a spell might do

 At one time, someone was going to write up some nice spell docs.  I
don't think that ever happened.  Certainly something for someone to do.

> 9) does spell damage go up with levels (wizard/wisdom)?

 depends on the spell.

 Items 6,8,9 above all have values calculated internally.  However, should
or is it desirable to have all such information readily available to the
player?

> now for some of my own:
> 1) server/main.c would not compile without including -lcrypt on linux
> 	 (red hat 5.0) 2.0.32 kernel

 I think that is commented in teh config file or someplace.  OR it
might depend if crypt is included in your libc or not.

> 2) an easy way of moving a character from one server to another server.
> 		this makes for greater acceptance.

 ftp should work fine.

> 3) better packaging of the files - why does maps come in its own
> 	tar file, but yet does not have the proper paths setup to go into
> 	crossfire-xxxxx/lib?  same goes for other packages.

 maps is its own archive because they don't always change, or may not
change enough that it is worth downloading the archive for a few minor
changes.

 I am not sure by the paths - for the maps, all you need to do is cd
into the destinate and to a tar xvf.  Including a minimum number of
front components is desirable.  Suppose the maps were archived
like crossfire-0.94.0/lib/maps, but you wanted to use them on a different
version, or you don't have your lib set up that way.  IT is now more effort
to untar them, then move the files.

> 4) why does the "doc" directory have to be moved from CTop to CTop/lib
> 	to keep crossedit from complaining?

 crossedit for some reason looks for docs - not sure why, since I doubt
any that would actually be useful are near up to date.  I would ignore
that error.

> 5) why not just have a server package and a client package - get the
> 	one you want and not all the other stuff.

 There is.

> 6) which is the latest sound package?  is see 0.92.x?

crossfire-0.92.7.sounds.tar.gz is the latest.  Sounds don't change much.
However, if someone wants to find some more sounds for various things
(grates/gates woudl be good, as well as more distinct sounds for the
spells), that would be nice.

 But this illustrates why there are seperate archives - do you really want
an extra 300k of data to download each time even though that 300k can be
easily isolated and has not changed?

> 7) is sound put on the server or the client or both?

 when using the term 'client', you need to state what client you mean.

 In the new client/server method, the actual sound files are only needed
on the client.

> 8) why do madmen try to wield a bow all the time?

 Don't know.

> 9) is there a place to get all the patches for 0.94.0? like highscore and
> 	stuff?

 Mailing list or list archives.

> 10) will you accept a 19meg core file that keeps getting generated everytime
> 		my players use "invoke summon cult monster" and the angels cause
> 		it to crash?

 Sure I will take it.  Try compressing it first, however.

> 11) how do we submit new monsters?
> 12) how do we submit new maps?

 Send them to me, or let me know where I can get them.

> 13) this one several of the new players wanted to know especially -
> 		how can they create new maps without being able to touch the
> 		existing maps?

 let crossedit run under realid (ie, no set uid of set gid bit set.)  Make
a directory (or symlink) in the maps directory to some area writable by
the people, and they can put there maps there.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com