Re: CF: Invisible objects

> > if you pick up an invisible object, there is no way to make it visible
> > or get rid of it again... "drop all" doesn't drop anything, "drop foobar"
> > says "nothing to drop", "invoke show inv" doesn't affect your inventory.
>
>  Just out of curiosity, what invisible object are you picking up in the first
> plact?

Pupland has several invisible objects. Example: the "Ebony blade" in raffle2.
This is actually the first place where I noticed the problem --- I had
two blades, three altars, and the "Ebony blade" was nowhere to be found.
So I finally grepped the maps --- and found that the "Ebony blade" was in
the map that I have searched over and over again. So I looked at that
map (after all --- that's cheating: I'm the only player who can do things
like this here), and found that the blade is invisible. I saved my character,
looked at the savefile --- and found several invisible objects: two
Ebony blades, a couple of notes (from another pupland map), and a trapdoor.

I'm now regulary checking player files for invisible objects...

>  Probably an obvious fix to make is so you can not pick up invisible objects.

Agreed. If you can't see it, you can't pick it up either. Also, invisble
handles etc. can't be used, so it would be consistent.

> > 'invoke create food of mandrake_root

>  Need to put a check in on the value of the food being created.

Yep. Or just set the value to 0, as with missiles (I think missiles are
value 0 --- nobody around here uses missiles, but everybody carries
a bow and a crossbow or Auriga, just in case -:)).

>  The create food & create missile were more convenient spells.  With rings of
> regen or rings of magic, you start to go through huge quantities of food (or
> missiles if firing them) - creating them wasn't meant to give money, just a
> convenience so you don't have to wander back to down when you run low.

Horn of plenty? Create food is extremely useful --- I remember running
around with negative weight, casting "create food" onto small buttons -:)
Nowadays I prefer low weight as opposed to negative weight.

>  The fireball created by transferrance really should not gain anyone any exp.
>  But creating a fireball with no owner was a little less trivial than the fix I
> put in place.
>
>  However, I wonder if that bug might work for most things (ie, invoke large
> fireball; ready_skill disarm).  If I am reading hte bug correct, the main thing
> that is happening is that the exp from the spell is being funneled into a
> different category.

We tried this in 0.93.4 and 0.93.5 --- did't work (i.e. we tried to fire
a spell, then change the exp category before the monsters were killed).
Same with firing arrows --- you always get phyiscal exp for it. Using the
"tranferrence indirection" seems to be the only way to get exp in a different
category.

Christian