Re: Making Classes more distinct (Re: CF: towards 1.0)

I think the problem is deeper than just the rarity of stat
potions.  I think the problem is that permanent stat potions
EXIST.  If they exist then adjusting the supply simply
adjusts the time needed to adjust all stats to the max which
results in the almighty character.

I think the only effective way to make starting class relevant
for the entire life of the character is to remove stat potions
from the game as well as no longer reduce a stat for each death.
Currently recovering a stat reduced by death isn't that hard so
removing it as part of the effect of dying isn't that important.

The stat potions in maps would instead be of limited duration
(say 20 minutes) and a character could only be on one stat
potion at a time.  Thus allowing some benefit, but preventing a
player from continually consuming lots of potions in order to
be almighty whenever the need arises.

I suppose at every 7 or so level a character could have a random
stat increased by one so that a level 70ish char could be looking
forward to getting almighty, but such a char probably should be
that way.  The level 10-25 almighty char is really obnoxious.

							sdw