CF: Re: CF client window setup & graphic design

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Frank Tore Johansen <ftj@a.sol.no> wrote:
[...]
> Btw, aren't there there any designers out there?  Isn't it about high time
> we got some graphic design on the standard crossfire window?  Nothing
> functional, just something to help get a more professional look (some
> fancy borders and backgrounds, like all commercial games got).  This
> should be easily portable to any clients.

Well, I've been considering porting the client to GTK
(http://www.gimp.org/gtk/), which provides several easy ways to
customize an application by adding fancy graphics here and there.
Besides, it has several widgets that would be useful for the crossfire
client, and even a way to dynamically reparent widgets (so that
instead of using -split, you would simply drag a sub-window out of the
main window).

If you have gtk-0.99.2, try the sample application "testgtk" which
shows how most of the GTK widgets can be used.  Think about how the
crossfire inventory could look if it was using a notebook widget
containing several lists (one for each inventory mode).  Or think
about the message window using a decent text widget, maybe with some
pixmap in the background.  Also, since Raster is currently adding
"Themes" to GTK and porting the Enlightenment stuff to GTK, would
could get some killer graphics easily (see http://www.rasterman.com/
and http://www.enlightenment.org/themes/ to get an idea of what the
Themes are about).

I have been playing a bit with the latest client in order to see what
has to be changed to port it to GTK, but I am not sure that I will
ever have the time to work on it seriously.  I am currently busy
working on the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/), which would be a good tool
for making new graphics for crossfire, btw.

> How many use -split anyway?

Sometimes I use -split, mainly to be able to enlarge the inventory
window and/or message window.  But if the client had a way to resize
the sub-windows individually, I probably wouldn't use -split.

-Raphael