Re: CF: Moving on to implement diseases

> On Mar 2,  8:19pm, Peter Mardahl wrote:
>
>  Actually, doing poison the same way could make sense - ie, the stinger of th
> bee carries the poison that gets inflicted.

It does make sense.  I don't want to 'break' too much, though.
As I said, it can be 'retrofitted'....  "disease" should be much more
flexible.

> > If you've had a disease, I plan to make players immune to getting the
> > same disease twice, provided the disease they're 'catching' is of
> > <= level.  I.e., someone immune to level 20 flu will be completely
> > immune to level 10 flu, but level 21 flu might floor him.
>
>  I don't know if this is a totally good idea, unless there are a lot of
> diseases.  And on a realistic point, it may depend on the disease - for
> example, people can get teh flu each year - the vaccination is only a tempora
> immunity.  But other things, like chicken pox and measles, are more a just on
> type of thing.

>  But this may be one of those things for playbalance.  A more reasonable
> approach might be to adjust the potency of the disease based on what the play
> has had before.  Inthe above example, a person who has had the level 20 flu
> might still have some minor effects if they get a level 10 flu, and a level 3
> could be quite potent.

Well, diseases are already going to be using a LOT of parameters.
I have no great objection to your scheme:  I'll just implement it
using straight immunity as I described, with some diseases
immunizable and some not.  We can elaborate on it later.

> > Diseases may be progressive, in that they may start out relatively
> > weak, but eventually kill the player.  Healing will help (reduce
> > progression), but only
> > 'cure disease' will remove disease.  Restoration will 'cure disease'
> > at the level it is cast, as well 'cure disease'.  Altars will be able
> > to cure disease.
>
>  I don't know if all diseases should be deadly.  Some diseases may make it

Certainly not!  Athlete's foot will be chronic, mostly harmless, and
NOT progressive.  However, tetanus, leprosy and syphilis and
Alzheimers WILL be progressive and fatal if not cured.  Flu and ebola
will NOT be progressive, they'll be acute, and if they don't kill you,
no permanent effects.  Smallpox will permanently reduce charisma,
even if nonfatal...  Flu won't be likely to be fatal.

> very difficult for the character to do adventuring while diseased (ie, loss o
> hitpoints, slower movement, higher food intake may make it very difficult to

tapeworms!  Yes, also loss of stats, bouts of paralysis, bouts of vomiting,
lethargy, diahhrea, this could REALLY be lots of fun.  Imagine a roomful
of goblins with the squirts!!!!!  Har har har har!!!

>  Also, you need to be able to handle the problem that poison has right now -
> player with enough regen can get hp back faster than losing it.  I would thin

This is a cool idea.  I was planning on making some diseases strike hp
as a precentage, some kill when stats < 0, progressive diseases would
hit harder and harder....

> devices won't get hp back, a character with regen+1 now gets them back at
> normal rate, etc.)  A disease which prevents gaining of HP or mana via natura
> means is pretty nasty - won't outright kill the character, but will make life
> bit more difficult.

I LIKE it.  Complexity of the idea is ballooning.  *sigh*

> > Kills via disease will grant experience.  Undead will never suffer
> > from disease, nor will demons, though both may cause it.

>  Not sure if that is totally true.  Some things, like ebola, may not care wha
> the flesh is - whether it is animated undead flesh or still living human fles

How about this, undead/demons immune unless positively identified as
being vulnerable?  I can easily think of a louse-like creature which
infests the undead, but suck mana.

>  While demons may be supernatural, so are many other races (titans, dragons,
> etc).  Maybe specific diseases for specific creatures (although, this may be
> another playbalance area.)(

For specific creatures for fun:  like a mage spell for eradicating
mice.

>  Could also see a protection from disease spell to reduce chances of getting
> the disease.

Another good idea.  Don't plan on implementing this one at first, though.

>  One thing that would be nice, and not totally related to diseases, is having
> morre chapels set up that will cast various spells for various costs. (it wou
> also be nice to have enough chapels set up and remove the random dietifacatio

Random dietifaction of altars is a GOOD thing EXCEPT when the altar is
already dedicated.  Could someone fix that if it isn't fixed already??

PeterM