More bandwidth reply (Was: Re: CF: win32 client and XPM)

> Christian writes:
>
> I don't quite agree with that (but then, my name is not in the cf hall
> of fame :-)). Performance is _no_ issue at all, since

	Enough already. I had no idea I was famous :) But, whatever my
	faults, I try at least to be civil. Assinitity/flames dont prove you
	are smart, or even right. Go rant at your wife/dog/tv if you had a
	bad day. Dont do it here please.

	First of all, I have already pointed out (and agree with you)
	that a local cache of images is  needed by the client. We should
	minimize any client request from the server for new images. When
	I get the time, I have already been talking with Phil about writing
	this code for the Java client.

	Now, as to image format, bandwidth ISNT the only issue, but it is
	an very important one. Why? I will point out that one of the
	major strengths of CF is that it is multiplayer. Essentially
	the number of players you may have is bandwidth limited (at this
	time, yes.. there are ultimately other issues, such as the
	archetecture of the machine/hardware the server is running
	on, and how efficent the coding of the server is, etc.) BUT right
	now, it is bandwidth that limits that extra player from coming in
	and playing.

	How many people have played on a non-local server and found
	more than 2-3 non-local players logged in? The reason is
	that there is pretty crappy lag. We cant do anything about MCI
	or SPRINT, but we can minimize the communication between the
	server and client to help reduce lag and promote many more
	simultaneous logins.

	SO.. as you note, image format is a client issue. AND once the
	coding is done to translate from the server image format to
	the client format.. its done and over and not a recurrent
	problem. Bandwidth on the other hand is something I think we
	will always be trying to deal with.

						-b.t.