Re: CF: images & caching.

>>>>[From Scott Wedel]

    Seems to me that if we assume client has all images cached then actual
    image format is irrelevant.  Presumably, server sends image name and
    which layer which client is then supposed to display correctly.  I
    see no requirement that server need to have any idea of the actual font
    type.

Something, somewhere, has to give the image to the client. The client then
has to agree with that "something", what acceptible image formats are.
It's still the same issue: xpm vs gif vs png vs ...?