Re: CF: images & caching.

I think the best solution is to pick an image format which is reasonably
portable, has tools to be converted to other image formats and provides
the best features.  This is apparently PNG.

If we assume that clients can cache and provide a reasonable means for
a client to update local cache so that local cache is complete then
there is no bandwidth issue.  Image size using bandwidth is an issue
only because the current caching scheme is ineffective at updating the
cache.  If there was a scheme where upon client connect initialize that
a few messages were sent back and forth to verify client had all images
(and if not then received any new images) then image size is largely
irrelevant.

Also, as apparently images can easily be converted between formats
then clients could cache images in whatever format which is native
to that client.  So the resulting performance of any particular image
format is not that important.  Obviously, it would be nice if CF's
image format could be displayed quickly in it's native format, but that
is certainly not a requirement.

Seems to me that the biggest issue is to develop a method which client
can quickly and efficiently verify it has a complete local cache and
get whatever updates of whatever missing images.

							sdw