Re: Intelligent Clients (was Re: CF: hello)

Martin Wille (m@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de) wrote:

> > In Mud circles (and Crossfire is to my mind, very much a type of Mud,
> > given a sane definition), these are generally called 'Bots'. Two types

> Perhaps a CF-AI-kit should be developed.
>
> To prevent any abuse of such a kit a special authorizing scheme would be
> helpful. That would enable cf server admins to allow only well known bots to
> connect.

No. Right now cf is "open". The server admin can still ban bots that
he doesn't like. It might be difficult to do, esp. if the bot is
spread around and therefore connects from lots of IP addresses.
However --- how do you know that something is a bot in the first place?
An authorizing scheme would mean you'd have to authorize players too...

> Not only the server CPU will be offloaded, the design process will be also
> benefit, since the development of AIs can be done separately from the server
> development.

Hey, we already have a non-player client (mr_log --- he records all kills
on the server and creates HTML pages...). Just a little hack from a friend
of mine, though.

Christian