Re: CF: Random Maps and inclusion of disease code

>  Some of this could perhaps be improved by some better randomization of the m
> (different monsters each time or something).  But unless new maps are
> constantly created, at one point you do have pretty much the entire map set
> under your belt.  I don't really know to much what can be done to improve on
> that.

How about DECENT random maps?  Moria does it.  Angband does it.  Nethack does it.
Someone was working on this?

I don't have time or I would work on it.  I *would* have worked on it except
someone said that they had it mostly done.

DECENT random maps would improve the game in many ways, because you
could "theme" the random maps so that classes under-represented in the
designed maps could have things to do.

BTW, Mark, want to include diseases now?  A few comments:

1)  The disease code so far doesn't affect the game too materially:
the disease spells aren't handed out, and the random diseases are pretty
innocuous.

2)  The only problems I've noticed with it are problems with granting
experience to the wrong skill category:  this problem is *also* shared
by spells such as fireball.  (If you shoot a fireball and change skill
category, the skill from delayed fireball kills will go into the new
category, not necessarily magic experience--or at least this was the case
awhile ago.

The disease stuff really is half-done, I admit, but the half-done part
doesn't seem to be broken, and I think people would be amused if their
characters started getting diseases such as diarrhea from diseased traps.

It'll also encourage other people to maybe finish the disease stuff.  The
infrastructure is mostly there:  all that remains is to add to the variety
of diseases, and have various gods hand out spells of cause disease as
appropriate to balance out the various priesthoods.

PeterM