Re: CF: hi

On Sep 21, 12:55am, Jettero Heller wrote:
> Subject: CF: hi
> My users (with the client), keep coming up as: 127.0.0.1.

 If they are running the client on the same system as the server, this makes
sense.

> Does it only show ip addresses, or is there a way to get it to resolve the
> name, and/or the user's login name.

 It only shows IP address.

 The problem with resolving names is that the lookup will block the server.  So
for example, if a user connected from a remote site and it takes 15 seconds to
lookup the host from IP address, during that 15 seconds, the server is doing
nothing more.  And if its DNS server is down, the timeout takes however long.
 So having crossfire doing lookups is not a good thing.  Even fast lookups are
likely to have some effect on the server (after all, each game tick is 1/8'th
of a second about, so even a lookup that takes 1 second would be noticable).

 It makes more sense if this information is important to parse it during log
runs (ie, if you log connections into a file and parse it, do the lookups at
that time.)

 It is not possible to get the user name.  There is no common way to get the
real user of the remote connection.  The client could be modified to sent this
along, however if players are really interested in bypassing it, then they just
compile a client with taht disabled or one that sends a bogus name.

 One of the main goals in the client was to design it so that a secure client
was not needed - this is done by assuming all clients might be cheaters, and
only send information the client should know.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com