Re: CF: Servers

James Cameron (cameron@stl.dec.com) wrote:

> If bad guys come along and send UDP packets with the wrong format or
> more frequently than once every thirty seconds, the metaserver just
> ignores them.

Well, I was thinking about bad guys sending UDP packets with the
correct format to mess up the metaserver listing. :-)

> Crossfire can be played by one person at a time, but is definitely
> more fun with more.

It's not just "more fun" --- most maps are easier to do with several
players. Either because players are lowlevel, or because the puzzles
are easier for 2+ players.

> I wonder if there are ways to increase the opportunities for group
> play?

Most "groups" are actually teams of people on the same site --- they
usually use machines that are physically located next to each other.
This is great for team play, since it allows better communication.
Obviously these teams don't need a metaserver.

Also, for a lowlevel player, "joining" a team that he doesn't know is
a risk: he is not familiar with the playing style, and he doesn't
know whether the other team members are reliable, or whether they
will happily shoot a snowstorm at you ("oops... sorry.").

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber

Follow-Ups: References: