Re: CF: Another client bug, update

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Christian Stieber <stieber@informatik.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
> I do. Beta does NOT mean that the developers don't have to test it at
> all. These bugs are too obvious, they prove that only minimal testing
> has been done (if anything at all). [...]

Come on!  The client is NOT unplayable.

I am only playing with the client now, and I can play and avoid most
of the bugs.  Granted, I only play from time to time to test some new
features on my own machine and I never play for several hours in a
row, but still I manage to have a limited the number of crashes.

> This seems to be normal, though ---
> I reported another bug some time ago (concerning very full bags),
> and Mark told me that he'll not fix it, which was frustrating enough
> (since it means I'll have to fix it when more people start using the
> client. Luckily there is no danger of this happening right now).

If I remember correctly, you were asking to fix a bug with some bags
that should never have been created in the first place (bags holding
too many items).  If this is really the case, then I think that the
correct solution is to remove these strange bags from the maps where
they appear in, and not to change the code so that it allows this kind
of objects to exist.  If would tend to fix this bug by adding some
code in the server that silently enforces an upper limit to the weight
and number of objects that a bag can carry, regardless of what is
specified in the archetype.  Maybe the server could automatically
remove these illegal containers from the player's inventory, or
replace them by some standard bags.

> Also, we've had relatively stable crossfire versions in the past
> (except for the well known teleporter crash there are not that many
> crashes). With the new client things become extremely unstable (to
> avoid the word "unplayable"), so it is definitely a bad idea to
> discontinue support for the builtin X interface now.
[...]

I disagree.  We could keep on supporting the old X interface forever,
and that would prevent any serious rewrite of the internals of the
server.  Maybe the client is not as stable as you would like it to be,
but then the best way to solve the problems is to submit patches to
the code.  The client/server separation has already produced a very
good result: the GTK client.  Once GTK themes are integrated, this
will give us a very cool CrossFire client.  That would not have been
possible with the builtin X interface.

-Raphael