Re: CF: Scripting Language

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 tvangod@ecst.csuchico.edu wrote:
> I think tcl is a good candidate for being embedded in Crossfire as the
> scripting language. It is an extremely straight forward language,
> easily embedded in c, c++, and java executables, and it is easily
> extensible.

I don't like the idea of adding more 'external code' to CF.  If newbies
have trouble installing the xpm-lib think of having to install tcl...
If there's tcl-source that you can cut'n'paste into your own programs,
forget that comment.

The scripting language should be _in_ the CF so it can access all data
structures directly.

In addition to make the scripting language every creature should be
attached with an additional structure that contains variables for the
creatures script.  (That is if we don't want to use one interpreter per
creature, in which case the variables could be held in the interpreter)

Doesn't CF already have an extensive parser in it?  It parses all those
text-based maps and archetypes all the time?  I think the extensions
should be made by adding functionality there.  Extending msg-field like
Raphael suggested would be a simple approach.

Since there have been several mentions of those funny script languages
like perl/tcl/python/scheme/whatever.  I'd really like a summary on why
and how should they be used.  Please don't just quote commercials...

	- Riba