Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: CF: Some ideas for Crossfire... (long)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Christian Stieber wrote:
> Raphael Quinet (quinet@gamers.org) wrote:
> > For example, a character starting in the "Dark Forest" would have to
> > kill the three hill giants who are destroying the forest.
>
> Sure. A level 1 character killing hill giants.

Well, that was just an example.  Obviously, a level 1 character cannot
kill hill giants (except if they are trapped, maybe).  We can use some
goblins instead.  Or birds, bats, ...

> > These mini-quests should be left to the beginners, so that they can be
> > sure to find all the objects that they need on these maps (among other
> > things, their starting equipment).  If these maps were accessible to
> > all players, they would probably be empty most of the time on
> > multiplayer servers.
>
> Depends on what's in there. If there are just lowlevel monsters and
> useless items they would not be attractive --- just like most Scorn
> maps everybody would do them just once or twice, if at all (I find
> myself doing almost no Scorn maps anymore when building characters
[...]

These maps would contain low-level monsters, but also at least one
reward that could be interesting for a low-level or medium-level
player.  For example, a ring, a potion, or an enchanted weapon or
armour (say, +2 or +3 max.).  The treasures would not be valuable for
high-level players, but they would probably be grabbed by medium-level
players.  So in order to make sure that the mini-quests are not
emptied from their treasures, it is better to make their exits one-way
only.

There is also something else that I have discussed with others (via
private e-mails): the "limbo" map and the mini-quests could be part of
the attribution of stats and skills, so we should definitely ensure
that only the new characters can enter these maps.  I received several
comments about the character creation, and they can be summarized in
something like this: all new characters would start as spirits without
body with the same initial stats (no randomness, no stat exchange) and
there would be some ways to modify these stats on the first map(s),
before or after being incarnated in one of the available bodies
(race/class combinations).

Here are some ideas around this basic scenario (note that some of
these ideas are mutually exclusive):

- In limbo, there could be some special altars/potions/whatever that
  allow you to personalize a few points in your stats (you could
  exchange up to 2-3 points), before or after choosing a character.
  Teleporting to one of the mini-quests would commit these changes to
  your character.

- There could also be some training rooms allowing you to test your
  character on some monsters before you enter the mini-quests, giving
  you the opportunity to go back and modify your stats or choose a
  different character before entering the world.  Note: that could be
  difficult for priests and wizards, because they would have no spells
  or prayers at this stage.  So maybe we can consider the mini-quests
  to be the testing ground, and players would create a new character
  if they are not satisfied.  With the stat randomness gone, there
  would be no disadvantage in starting from scratch several times.

- The initial quest could give you some stat bonuses, depending on
  what you are doing.  So instead of modifying your stats in limbo (or
  in addition to this), you could modify them by fighting some
  monsters or taking some specific path in the mini-quests.

- Same for skills: the initial quest could be used to give you some
  skills depending on your actions.  Of course you could never get all
  of them from one quest, so either each mini-quest has only one skill
  (or other bonus) that you can get from it, or it has several of them
  but you have to make a decision in one of the maps and choosing one
  skill would prevent you from getting the others.

- If we have at least one mini-quest for each character class, we
  could even remove the stat modifiers that are based on the class.
  Maybe we could just keep some modifiers that are based only on the
  race, but the class and the corresponding skills and stats would be
  entirely determined by the mini-quest that you choose when starting
  the game.  So if you start with a human character (regardless of the
  face that you choose) and select one of the mini-quests based on
  magic, you would get the spellcasting skill at the beginning of the
  quest, as well as some bonus in Int and Pow during the quest.
  Similarly, if you choose a mini-quest based on fighting skills, you
  could get the missile weapons skill and some bonus in Con, Str and
  Dex.  Special classes like the monk could also have their own quest
  (for the meditation skill).  Some quests might have to be restricted
  to some specific races: for example, the quest giving the flame
  touch skill would only be accessible to non-humans (fireborn, but
  maybe also quetzalcoatl).

I think that most of these ideas could make the game more enjoyable
for new players, while still allowing experienced players to have fun
creating new characters.  What do you think?  Please send your
feedback to the list if possible (not only to me), so that everybody
can benefit from the discussion.

-Raphaël