Re: CF: Restoration Potions

Doug wilder wrote:

> Well, im not infavor of eliminating major game elements such as Immunity
> rings. But it would be nice to recover some of the lost experience some how,
> or maybe even this..

I am most definitely in favor. I used to get an adrenaline rush when I
opened a door to a room filled with six grim reapers. Now I sometimes
use them as blockers, to prevent any of those _dangerous_ undead from
getting close. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

You could always swap them with charged items -- total immunity to the
next n drains, or for the next n experience points of drain (the latter
has a strange balancing effect where it's much less useful for high
level characters).

> have restorations potions and spells only bring back part of lost experience
> (say maybe 10%) put it in a general catagory instead of back under what ever
> skills it was taken from. this would give the character his experience
> toward his levels but would lower individual skills as they get drained. You

Some variant of this seems reasonable. I'm not sure what balance
problems might arise from having lots of people running around with high
levels but lousy skills.

> Mark Wedel:
> >
> >  What I think the method should be is to keep track of the highest exp
> >totals in
> >the different skills along with total exp.  Recovering drained exp via
> >whatever
> >method restores you to that point.

Yes, I forgot that experience is skill-related. That sounds good.

> >  This means that if you get drained, go kill stuff and gain (regain) some
> >exp,
> >and then get it recovered, you still lost some because you lose out on the
> >exp
> >you gained before recovering.  This still at least makes draining something
> >try and avoid.

Well potions etc. aren't free. But that's an interesting wrinkle, and
probably easier to implement besides.

> > > Could even make ectoplasm & related things exchangable for n points of
> > > drain restoration. Turn undead mansions into gambling halls -- you go
> > > in, lose 100k experience, then you're hooked. You have to keep going to
> > > regain what you've lost.
> >
> >  One thing you have to be careful of, which can be tricky, is to make it
> >difficult/impossible for players to shuffle exp between experience
> >categories.
> >This then requires tracking exp losses per skill.

Agreed.