Re: CF: Are these bugs?

Mark Wedel wrote:

>  The question is how many such objects should be allowed, and how precise should
> they be?  One current issue is the fact that it is very easy for players to
> visit all the shops in the world hunting for good items very quickly.  If they
> could teleport between them, this makes it even easier (a planned fix for the
> quick visiting is to increase the world scale - that was also going to be done
> for other reasons)

    How about a maximum of two exit markers, one for each of two new spells,
high level prayer, "Word of Return", to teleport back to wherever you last
used
Word of Recall from, and "Portal", a high level magic spell that a) sets an
exit
marker in the player if there is none or b) creates a two-way exit to the
marked
location if a location is already marked, thus using up that mark.

    As magic items, a scroll of Word of Return would fit well with the
Recall
scrolls that are currently available.  It should defeinitely be less common,
though.  Instead of scrolls, I think Portal should be available as magic
stones,
which could probably use the potion/dust object type.  Just place a Portal
Stone
in one location, go to wherever you mant the other side of the portal to be,
and
place another Portal Stone.

    The advantage of a Portal spell is that one portal can transport a whole
party back to their base of operations.  There would have to be some setup
time,
while the portal forms and stabilizes, so it wouldn't become an escape
spell.
Using the same delay time as Word of Recall would probably be a good place
start.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Quote of the Day:
"So tired that I couldn't even sleep,
 So many secrets I couldn't keep,
 Promised myself I wouldn't weep,
 One more promise I couldn't keep"  - Soul Asylum