Re: CF: Alternate proposal: MARK the power crystals

Peter Mardahl wrote:

> How about this:  put in a keycode to power crystals, so that
> if a player gets the same power crystal again from the same place,
> he can only use one.  The power crystal would search the inventory
> to enforce this.
>
> The player would then only have as many power crystals as there are
> maps with crystals of different "flavors".
>
> In regular play, I've never used more than 3-4 crystals, and I've
> always had to invest a lot of time in recharging them.  To me,
> this seems to balance their power, especially considering that fighters
> can deal out damage indefinitely without this inconvenience.
>
> I offer to implement crystal marking as a compromise (and edit the
> maps with crystals) if the consensus is that some limit to power
> crystal despite the fact that fighters have unlimited damage dealing
> potential.

here's a fix:  let crystals suck up mana.  use same recharge code
as rods w/ input from users mana stack.  you can carry however many
crystals you want, BUT at some point they'll suck up all the   mana
you can generate.  other change would be to use the existing `you
blindly grab a bite of food' code to snatch mana from crystals
w/ SP goes to zero.  neither reqires any massive code development
(rods and food code already exist).  with this method if you
carried enough crystals there would be an automatic limit at which
they would simply suck up any SP you'd get instantly and you'd
use it up instantly.  q.e.d., there's a limit to how much good they
do you.

personally i prefer to carry more crystals just to isolate the
annoyance of sitting around recharging: it takes longer but you
can park yourself in a safe spot and go have a beer or something
while it happens :-)

--
 Steven Lembark                                   2930 W. Palmer St.
                                                 Chicago, IL  60647