Re: CF: incompatible objects (was Re: Experiments)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Peter Mardahl <peterm@langmuir.EECS.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> I'm not so bothered about multiple protections in force.  The game gets
> harder as you go up in level, but HP does NOT go up so fast after a
> while.  Spells can kill a player AWFULLY fast.
>
> When the game is such that a player can count on not being hit by
> a fire spell AND a cold spell at the same time, THEN I might support
> such a restriction on protections.

In the earlier versions of Crossfire (more than five years ago), there
were very few monsters that could cast fire spells and cold spells at
the same time.  And except for the high-level hack-and-slash maps in
Brest, there were very few areas that had both fire dragons and cold
dragons close to each other.  I understand that you do not want to
restrict the protections because there are too many areas in which you
really need to be protected from both fire and cold, but I think that
the best solution is to change these maps.

I think that the FireTemple maps are a good example of what we should
try to do: a whole set of maps in which the player can expect to see
lots of fire monsters and almost no cold monsters.  Actually, this is
something that I like in most of your (Peter) maps: the areas in which
you can find the various types of monsters are usually well defined.
This is something that should be done for most maps.

<rant>
Actually, I think that most of the current maps that require the
player to be more than level 20 should be changed because many of them
are using some bad combinations of monsters.  How could you have a Red
Dragon and a Chinese Dragon in the same room anyway?  It does not make
sense, they should kill each other before the player has a chance to
see them.  Most of the high-level maps were done by players who were
bored after having reached a high level, and wanted to create some new
challenges for their characters.  Unfortunately, many of these maps are
simply too hard and require more and more powerful items.  I would like
to re-think the current set of maps by keeping only the low-level and
middle-level maps, and very few of the high-level maps (the dragon
quest is good, a couple of pupland maps are good, but that's it).  All
IMHO, of course.
</rant>

> At SOME point, there was supposed to be a change where protections
> would add in a reducing fashion:  what's the status on this?

As Mark said, this will be for 0.96.  I'm eagerly waiting for this.

-Raphael