Re: CF: Alternate proposal: MARK the power crystals

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Raphael Quinet wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Mark Wedel <mwedel@scruznet.com> wrote:
> > David Andrew Michael Noelle wrote:
> > >     One thing we do have a consensus on is that mages, especially at low
> > > levels, are significantly harder to play than warriors.
> [...]
> >  So I agree with whoevers suggestion that not using tags, but instead
> > looking at the inventory for conflicting objects probably makes some
> > more sense.
> >
> >  As I see it, there are two main problems:
> > 1) regain sp/grace/hp can be time consuming/boring.
> > 2) Characters with too many artifacts can unbalance the game.
>
> Well, it looks like what we are heading for is:
> 1) Increase the regen rate for SP, because HP and grace can be regained
>    much faster (one can pray to regain grace, and use a healing prayer
>    to regain HP).  I am not sure if we really need something like a
>    "resting" state that would increase the regen rate for everything
>    but maybe this would be a good addition for low-level players who
>    cannot heal easily.

Suggestion: have spellcaster classes like mages/wizards/etc. have a built-in
higher rate of SP regen. This would make it possible to balance out the
difficulty of playing wizard vs. fighter classes without giving fighters too
high an SP regen. After all, mages and wizards *should* have more advantage in
using magic than a fighter of the same level! Otherwise, I might as well start
by playing a "fighter" class since fighters survive better at low levels, then
pick up a scroll of legerdemain and start using magic and become sort of a
"fighter-wizard" at higher levels where I need more magic to kill nastier
monsters... I'd much rather have the character classes actually make a
difference in the way you play, no matter how high a level you are.

[snip]
> I would like to see some suggestions for the incompatibilities between
> objects (weapons, armour, rings, amulets, ...).  Here are some ideas:
> - weapons with attacktype "cold" and "fire"
> - same for "poisoning" and "fire" (most poisons are degraded by heat)
> - any weapon with more than two attacktypes that sees another weapon
>   with two or more attacktypes
> - rings or amulets that are attuned to opposite paths
>
> Any other suggestions?  It could be nice to have some criteria based
> on the total number of stat improvements, but I don't know how to
> formulate that.

One suggestion would be to make it hard (or impossible) to cancel out the bad
side-effects of a ring/amulet by wearing another that gives a plus in the same
area. Eg, wearing a ring (Cha-1)(Regen+1) should be (somewhat? totally?)
incompatible with a ring (Cha+1) -- these rings should kinda repel each other
since they have opposite attributes. Or perhaps we can base this on how much
stat bonus/minus they give, so that a ring (Cha-1)(Regen+1) will only slightly
repel a ring (Cha+1), whereas a ring (Cha-2)(Regen+1) will be very "annoyed"
when worn together with a ring (Cha+2).