Re: CF: Double Quotes

On Feb 2, 11:51am, John Cater wrote:
> Subject: CF: Double Quotes
> Does anyone know when double quotes (") stopped working as an
> abbreviation for 'say

 I just tried it right now with the cfclient, and it works fine.

 It appears there is some problem with it with the gcfclient.  I don't know
offhand if it is using different keybindings (in both cases, I am using the
default set), or of it is not checking for shift modifier (on this particular
keyboard, the ' and " are the same key, the later is the shift.  IF it is just
checking for the ' and uses the extended command even if the shift modifier is
set, that could be the problem.

> I really found it handy. Is there anyway to make a key binding to do the
> same thing?

 There is no difference between the built in keybindings and custom keybindings
- if a built in binding can do something, you can do the same thing with custom
bindings - they both use the exact same code.

 In this particular case, there could be a problem with the shift modifier as
said.  But to bind it to something else (say |, you would do something like
'bind -e say ', and then press the | key.  The -e flag to bind says to keep it
in edit mode so you can type additional stuff after the command.

 Note that there is an extra space after the 'say' there, so that you don't
have to enter that by hand each time.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com