Re: CF: Disconnects and Saves

On Jan 13, 11:00am, Preston F. Crow wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Disconnects and Saves
> I generally like this new disconnect strategy.  If I were coding it, I
> would do it this way:
>
> In config.h, there would be a new define, CLIENT_DISCONNECT_TIMEOUT,
> which would set the time in seconds to keep the character active
> following a disconnect (i.e., not tied to map timeouts).  I would set
> this at something like 5 seconds for the default--long enough for the
> currently-visible icestorm to kill you, but not longer than it would
> likely take to run away if you were still connected.

 Actually, if that were done, it should be done in ticks and not seconds (ticks
is easier to deal with internally.

> No solution is perfect.  The flaws/abuses for this one that I see are:
>
> Characters could be brought back into a map that another player has
> made much more dangerous (by leaving freed monsters or nasty spells
> like lightning walls).  I think this is a minor concern.

 This of course is no worse than any other method proposed.  Save for always
doing a word of recall, I don't think this can be prevented.

> Players could use the disconnect policy as a poor-man's word of
> recall.  This would be a way of avoiding figuring out the solution to
> several maps including the pre-historic site in Pup Land and that pit
> of tombstones in the Lake Country.  Both of these use anti-magic to
> block normal word of recall spells.

 Yeah - I don't know of any really good solution on this.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com