Re: CF: random map & map start point

Peter Mardahl on  wrote...
| > Multiple Magic mouths can also be a problem.
| > Prehaps you should just put a sign next to the enterence...
| > Probably easier and can supply some extra info.
|
| Not easier:  it's exactly the same difficulty.

I meant against having multiple magic mouths blabing all over the place.
A Sign makes reading optional, EG up to the player if interested
and as such you can be more verbose.

| > Sign name ``Random Map'', Content.. who created the `map style' and when,
| > when it was randomly generated, and any other info the adventurer may be
| > interested in.
|
| Saying who created the map style won't be possible.  Each map is made of
| many styles.

I meant the initial `map style' for that location.  EG the file that
specifes the various styles for floors walls etc, when that file was
created (and added to the world).  Your name and software version could
also be mentioned :-)

A `specific title' for the map may also be important.  Dundeon of the
Undeead temple. The final map bing the temple with the final puzzle to
be solved, the random maps providing a ramp of difficulty to reason the
main map.

A nethack dungeon could also be created! eg:  3 random levels
special level 5 more random, another special level, 5 more, castle level,
30 levels of pure mazes of hard but still diggable walls, and the final
map with the wizard of yendor, and of course the Amulet! :-)

| > This randomised start point is a real pain on many maps and the solution
| > is usally to not use the map assigned `start point' but to have that
| > start point specificed from the calling map.  Arrrgghhh..
|
| In my random map generator, you ALWAYS appear on top of the exit back
| the way you came, at least, that was my intention.

As is the intension of all map makers specifing a start point.
I just hope this improves.

| > Tell you what you create the extra map charcter
| >    second floor style (outside or corridor)
| >    second wall style
| > &  second decore ????
| > And I promise to create a nethack map generator
|
| You first.  After all, I don't need a corridor style until there is
| a layout with corridors.  You may use these conventions:
| a char value of 1 for the second floor style.
| I won't make 2 wall styles yet:  it would make autojoining rather
| complex.

Just treat them as completely disconnected, (for nethack style of
dungeon anyway) unless you want to make a flag to say auto join
different walls.  In buildings the second wall could specify windows
(fences)!

| Having the data in the exit is therefore rather convenient.  I need not
| search the map for some sign.  It is also rather convenient for the
| person using crossedit to add the random map:  editing the exit's message
| is very easy. I think I will not change it.

I would still think a sign is a better idea the general info.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
    Personally, I consider myself perfect and bug free...bug free... bug
    free...  bug free... bug free... bug free... bug free... bug free...
        -- Adam Calinsed Cuerden   <acuerden@salsgiver.com>
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au