Re: CF: Usless Items (was Map integration)

Preston F. Crow (Preston.F.Crow@Dartmouth.EDU) wrote:

> Second, key names, or at least descriptions when examined, should indicate
> where the key was found.

Descriptions is probably better. A short name, and a longer
description.  This is especially useful since you can't attach notes
to items (and having the "note" attached automatically isn't bad
anyway).

The description could default to the map name, so it automatically
works for all keys that are currently around.

And while we are at it: when a key is used up, how about a message
like "the key ... opens the door"? After all, the "door opening" is
like trying every key until you find a matching one.

Some special handling is required for things that don't look like
keys/doors. Technically you could use a checkinv to block access to a place,
but you can just as well use an invisible door. So maybe output a
different message for invisble doors and checkinvs (the ones that
remove items): "The ... vanishes!"

Btw, I noticed that my automatic container searching for keys (which
is now a keyring search :-)) isn't used for the generic keys (I always
forget that these exist, but at some point I was wondering why doors
make me stop for a short time even though I have several hundred
generic keys in my keyring).

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber