Re: CF: using skills (was: Usless Items)

Raphaël Quinet (Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se) wrote:

> automatically when no weapon was weilded, then the mountaineer skill
> was activated automatically when travelling on hilly terrain, then
> recently the bargaining skill was activated automatically in shops.
> This is the right way to go, IMHO.

Thanks :-)

> Currently, I bind all the function keys on my keyboard (F1-F12) to
> the various skills, and press all keys in succession after picking
> up some stuff.

Too much work. I have all id skills on the "i" key. :-)

> We should not have to tell newbies to do "bind use_skill jeweler",
> "bind use_skill smithery" and so on.  Instead, this should be done
> automatically when an item is examined (not when it is picked up -
> that would be too easy).

I don't really see a difference, provided we can do something like
"examine all". It's still one keypress. If there will be no "examine all"
it's a major annoyance, much worse than the weight limit --- just imagine
the fun clicking through a pile of 100 (non-merged) items. Time for a
client with builtin macros :-)

> Sure, it would then take more time to do the usual thing "kill all
> monsters, set pickup mode to all,

Bad thing. Better have pickup 4 active while killing (or at least
pickup 9 or so) --- your way burns/freezes too many items (provided
you let the monsters cast --- if you don't allow the monsters to cast
spells it doesn't make a difference, except that you are wasting time).

> There are some skills that would still have to be used explicitely:
> "praying", "oratory", "singing".  Maybe we could also do something
> about them and completely remove the need for "ready_skill" and
> "use_skill"?

Not much, probably. Praying could be replaced with a praying command
since it doesn't need a direction anyway.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber