Real Time Crossfire Mailing List Archive

Re: CF: Direction, maps and balancing

> >  To follow up on the above, the quality of items should probably depend much
> > more on the monster and not the dungeon.  An ogre should give better quality
> > treasure than an orc, even if they have the same treasure list and are on the
> > same dungeon for the simple fact the ogre is a better most.  So perhaps the
> > level of the creature should be the primary factor for monster treasure lists,
> > with actual dungeon level having lesser input.  This would also affect things
> > like the orc leaders - being higher level, better treasure.  So the leaders
> > would have better treasure, and that would make sense.
>
> Perfectly agreed :). I was thinking about treasure a bit more too, where
> monsters often have relatively little treasure. This is a good thing, for
> what they player gets (especially with the current mass slaughter
> situation), but it also handicaps humanoid monsters in that they wont have
> weapons and armor. A possibility would be to have some things 'break'
> during combat and not being part of what the player later finds. For
> example, even lesser orcs and goblins should have some form of armour and
> weapons, with a higher chance than currently (well, the weapon
> treasurelist is pretty ok), but some of the armour or weapons could be
> randomly removed at death, or only leave pieces left.

Orcs could wear orc armour, which doesn't fit (is not as effective, is
more encumbering) PCs very well. Perhaps the armourer could adjust
another race's armour to fit a player better for a fee. It might even
get in the way of players giving other players stuff they've found,
which could be considered a good or bad thing.

Add approx size and weirdness of body shape attributes to all armour,
players, and monsters?

It would have an odd effect on balance -- you would be more likely to
beat up things that looked like you.