Re: On bizarre contortions of crossfire to fix "abuses", was Re: CF: getting rid of too powerful characters

Peter Mardahl (peterm@langmuir.EECS.Berkeley.EDU) wrote:

> I very strongly disagree with many of the measures proposed to "fix"
> crossfire.  We will never be able to fix all the possible abuses,
> holes, cheesy ways to get exp, etc.

:-)

> You mean the current mapset is designed for up to level 20 or 30.

Hm.... It's rather difficult to make maps that are challenging for
higher level players: monsters would have to be edited to get

- lots of damage & weaponclass
- lots of hp
- attacktypes weaponmagic, godpower and electricity
- the only spell that does damage: meteor swarm

This is for 0.94.3 --- thing are worse in 0.95.x since players get
immunity to even more things without having to find items.

> If we HAVE to have a limit on level ( which I oppose because who knows
> when the map set will get extended?) I'd favor this method.

We _have_ (or had, in 0.94.3 and before) a limit: level 108 for
skills, level 110 total. That's why the top positions in the highscore
list always have the same score (ok, on my server I changed these scores
to sort the players according to the order in which they reached the
max score.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber