Re: CF: Crossfire playbalance

> This has to be balanced against the getting killed for beginners too;
> getting killed a few times can make a character pretty bad. My suggestion
> would be to remove the stat boosters from shops and replace them with a
> medium expensive death-stat-loss-restoration potion. That way it wont be
> as easy to gain the stats, while beginners wont get their ability to
> regain their losses yanked out.

How about stat depletion on death, rather than stat reduction on death?
Depletion can be cured with a restoration spell.

> > > 2) In reality, most of the really great artifacts should probably be
> > > counterbalance with something bad - most fiction tends to do that.  I bel
> > > most of the newer custom artifacts on the maps only gives postives with n
> > > negatives, so they are items you use all the time.

My original idea with the power crystals was to make them have personalities,
and do "interesting" and not necessarily beneficial, things with the
energy stored in them.  (Casting various spells.) Really good ones might
use the mana to heal you when you need it, quicker than you can,
while less "nice" ones would cast offensive spells, or maybe just slowly
run dry.

I never got around to doing this, but it seems like it'd be fun.

How about having powerful items slurp mana or hp occasionally
in order to maintain their bonuses, or perform other random bizarre
acts, like taking control of you and making you go smite stuff it
particularly wants dead?

> A bit complicated tho... also, the rewards for quests, I think should be
> permanent, just for player satisfaction. However, something like a charge
> system like there is for rods might be possible. To use the really good
> features of the artifacts (immunities, special attacks, etc) would consume

No artifact should grant any immunity, period.  I really think the
immunity spells should NEVER be given to players as prayers, too.

But the immunity stuff might become moot, if we go to a partial-protection
system:  i.e., not just 2x dam, 1x dam, 1/2x dam, 0x dam.

PM