Re: CF: more updates soon, comments/votes requested

David Andrew Michael Noelle wrote:
> I hadn't thought of that.  Two players with drain attacks and potions
> of restoration could drain each other to gain experience.  There are
> three solutions to this that I can think of:
>
> 1) Don't implement drain recovery.
>
> 2) Make drain from undead recoverable, but not drain from other
>    players.
>
> 3) Don't give the attacking player any of the experience drained from
>    another player.
>
> Personally, I prefer the third option.

 Problem with #3 is that drain weapons become mostly useless.  Remember, for
monsters you drain, you get the exp then, but the overall exp the monster is
worth (when killed) goes down.  So if you are attacking it on your own, the net
sum you get for killing a monster.

 Doing #3 could perhaps have a benefit that attacking other players would be
less interesting (don't get any benefit after all).

 #2 keeps the status quo basically.

 #1 is the easiest.  One 'nice' aspect of #1 is that at least players at any
level will be fearful of some creatures.  With incremental protections, I don't
forsee any players being able to get completely immune - maybe 90% or so, but
that is still some decent exp drained out.

 As I said before, at one point grim reapers were monsters that players really
feared.  With the ring of life, that is no longer the case (and the ring of life
is a good enough general purpose item, as it give regen +2).  Currently, grim
reapers tend to be nothing more than minor annoyances to most players.  I think
it would be nice if they are still something to be fearful of.  If you can
restore the drain from undead, you go back to the point of not much fear for
these - sure it may be a bit annoying, but not a big deal.  Similar to what
depletion is right now - sort of annoying because you need a restoration potion,
but nothing to really be concerned about.