CF: garden gates...

I have a question regarding game play, and more specifically,
something I may be missing durring game play.  If this isnt the
correct forum for questions like this, I apologize, but I'm going
to go ahead and ask anyway. :-)

There have been a few instances where I've encountered garden gates,
which appear to be normal gates, but I havnt been able to find a
way to open any of them.  They don't say that they require a special
key or method of opening, but I still havnt been able to get in.
Actually, there is one exception... I did get into the garden gate
that encloses Pupuly, after kiling Nazgul and subsequently opening
the 'escape pits', and falling into the Pupuly room.  The only problem
with that is that once I fell into the room with Pupuly, it seemed as
though not all of the escape pits were opened, because I couldnt drop
down out of the room that help Pupuly (although the pit seemed to be
open... it looked that way anyway), I couldnt open the garden gate,
and it was a no-magic area, so I couldnt cast word-of-recall...
therefor, I was stuck.

Am I missing something?

Also, I think I found a bug, and again, I'm not sure if this is the
place to report them, but I'll spill it anyway.  In the quest that
involves Heinrich and the "Prehistoric Site", I've entered the cave,
talked to Heinrich, and got him to open the wall and let in the gnolls
and trolls(that subsequently kill him), and then enter the room and
kill
off all of the baddies.  Then when I try to leave by the same way that
came, I'm not allowed to cross the boundary that seperates the 'cave'
part from the actual dungeon part.  The square in question is actually
the one that Heinrich was checking out, and is the same one that
collapses (automatically) and lets in the gnolls.  On a few occasions
actually, I've been denied access back into the cave, even though the
wall is gone.  Is this because I short circuited my conversation with
Heinrich to get the wall to open quicker, and perhaps avoided some of
the necessary logic to make the whole wall scenario complete
successfully?

Thanks for bearing with me.

--Kevin

=====
"It's so stupendous, living in this tube."
                                  --Phish