Re: CF: Race, Reputation and other suggestions

> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:17:11 +1000
> From: John Cater <john_cater@gitaylor.eng.monash.edu.au>
>
> I for one am in favour of each character being chosen by RACE alone.
>
> eg. Human, Fireborn, whatever...
>
> Then, as in life, you can choose the career and get skills for your
> character by training and adventuring.
>
> Guilds are a good idea methinks.  I wouldn't mind if in some
> 'graduation ceremony' or whatever the face of the character was
> changed when a new skill was gained. (E.g. A wizard when legerdomain
> is mastered)

We seem to have reached a consensus on seperating race and "class".
So, what are our new races and classes?  We currently have:
barbarian, cleric, dwarf, elf, fireborn, halfling, human, mage,
monk, ninja, half-orc, priest, quetzalcoatl, swashbuckler, thief,
viking, warrior, wizard, and wraith.  As I see it, that breaks down
into:

Races: human, barbarian, viking, dwarf, elf, fireborn, halfling,
half-orc, quetzalcoatl, and wraith.  I seem to recall some interest in
adding ogre to that list also.  And various other monsters, which
needs to be worked out more.  I suggest we should decide on a base set
of races to start with, and add the "monster" races later.

Classes: cleric, priest, mage, wizard, monk, thief, ninja, warrior,
and swashbuckler.  Are we going to break those down into more basic
classes and allow multiple or mixed classes?  Warrior/Wizard,
Warrior/Thief, Priest/Warrior, etc..  Or are we just going to keep
each combination as a seperate class?  Does that mean each different
class and each combination class needs its own guild?

If we have multiple classes, how do we make a Fighter/Mage half
Fighter and half Mage rather than both Fighter and Mage?  Experience
is already divided by experience category, so Fighter, Mage, Priest,
and Thief experience are all seperate and players have a seperate
level in each.  The problem with multiple classes is keeping players
from joining all of them to learn all the skills.  Reduce experience
gain for each additional class?  Minimum level to join another class?
The best solution is probably to have a seperate class for each
combination and allow only one class (at a time?)

What about characters who haven't chosen a class yet?  They don't have
any starting equipment, but they should have some starting skills, in
case they manage to get into a fight on the way to the guild.  The
skills that all players have by default should already be there.  I
think that's find traps and disarm traps.  There's no melee skill that
all players have, but the starting melee skill can be determined by
race.  Flame touch for fireborn, claw for quetzlcouatl, and melee
weapons and/or punching for everyone else.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Quote of the Day:
"I've got good news and bad news.  The good news is that nothing
horrendously terrible seems to have happened yet today.  The bad news is
that fact that that was *good* news."   -DAMN 7/14/95