Re: CF: Race, Reputation and other suggestions

Mark Wedel wrote:

> Steven Lembark wrote:
> >
> > what about simply having CHA start at some (fairly low) value for
> > everyone with quests upping the charisma (via alter-like item at
> > end of quest).  complete the quest your cha goes up.

>  This more or less matches my idea of a reputation (from balders gate) stat.  It
> goes up if you do good deeds, goes down if you do bad things.  Perhaps that
> could somehow be setable in the monster (invisible object that adjust reputation
> on those that killed it - used for important cases, but not everthing like
> orcs).
>
>  The name may or may not make a difference.  I just sort of take it out of the
> area of stats, since under such an above description, it doesn't really much the
> way the other stats do (rolled once, really don't change all that much.)
>
>  If you really wanted to add color, your could perhaps have more direct ways to
> increase/decrease reputation.  Throw a party for the city (spend X amount of
> money), reputation goes up.  Spend a bunch of money to badmouth another player,
> his reputation goes down 2x, yours goes down 1x (for badmouthing him).
>
>  Reputation  should get more difficult to increase the higher it is (or change
> the bonuses so you get less the higher it is).  Since it is no longer a stat,
> you could hide the true reputation from the players.
>
>  But the point being, if you are already famous, killing some fairly petty
> criminal probably won't help you, but a person with no real reputation, killing
> that petty criminal may help

how about:

	monster has reputation points and level.

	your rep goes up based on monster's rep / ( it's level - your level)
	with a falloff below zero.

if you're a high-powerd fighter then you are damaging your
rep. by hacking up kobolds in the newbie tower. if  you hack
up a bunch of orcs to kill an ancient dragon the net effect
will be very, very positive.

this kind of helps the issue of people repeating quests also,
since at some point the lower-level quests will consistently
damage your rep w/ less and less useful monitary payoff.

--
 Steven Lembark                                   2930 W. Palmer St.
                                                 Chicago, IL  60647