Future crossfire gameplay, was Re: CF: incompatible objects (was Re: Experiments)

 Just as a side note, if replying to the list, no reason to CC me also, since I
am on the list.

 It was brought up by someone of what should the direction of the game be.  My
preferance is more role playing (as best a computer game can do it) - but
certainly more problem solving/conversations with NPC's to get information and
less kill everything in sight.

 A few thoughts in various areas:

1) We really need to think if there should be some maximum level or exp point or
something.  I think the game was originally designed to about level 30 or so (at
least you keep get new spells until about level 20).  But as time has passed and
people reached that point, the total gets increased, and then people reach that,
and then increased again, and so on.  I have definately set the current 110 as a
maximum and not willing to raise it higher, but the question of whether it
should perhaps be lower is approriate.  If you have a more compact range of
levels, I think it is easier to get more good dungeons.

 2) From the discussion a few months back, removing the hordes of monsters and
instead having fewer but more interesting monsters is I think the way to go.
Right now, some things, like the newbie dungeon, has hundreds of monsters.  If
you can take them 2 wide, you can take them all out.  Reducing the amount will
have several (I think) good effects - exp gain should be slower, might be easier
for mages (only needs enough spells to kill a couple monsters, and not hordes of
thems), and money gain should be slower (not as much monster created loot).
Also, it may help in the mentality of not everything should be killed if you see
fewer monsters out there.  With this, getting more of the experience from
completing the quests (like many of the commercial games do) and less from the
actual slaying of monsters may make it more interesting.

3) The idea of opposing artifacts and the like is nice.  It adds some to the
roleplay experience, but also adds some repeat play value - before, I played a
fighter and got all the fighter items.  Lets try playing as a mage this time and
get all the mage items and see how that works out.

 To do that, I see the following needs to be done:

1) Some reasonable mythos/creation story behind the crossfire world.  Where did
the gods come from, and how did the current relations relate.  Note that this is
something that a creative person with no programming experience can do.  This
adds flavor to the game, but also will help in designing maps and artifacts - if
you have some story behind the gods and major players, you can come up with
artifacts they may or may not have created

2) Improved NPC logic is needed.  Lets face it, right now NPC's are pretty
stupid.  At minimum, some things like NPC's being able to take and give items
would be a nice touch.

3) Improved conversation logic with NPC's,  right now, it can be frustrating
trying to find the exact keyword which the NPC matches.  Some games have the NPC
say stuff, and gives the player a few options to respond with - I don't know if
it should be that limiting, but a simple state system so that the NPC continues
with his story if the player says most anything at all might be nice.

4) More quests that seem of some importance.  Right now, most all the stuff on
the map basically seems like someone pointing you to adventure, with no real
need for anyone to do it or not do it.  It would be nice to somehow reward the
players or at least acknowledge the players did some quest.  NPC's might comment
'oh - your that fellow that cleared out the sewers'.  But even some of the stuff
that is pointed to really is just a place to kill stuff.  Certainly there should
still be some of that in the game, but that shouldn't be the premier job for the
player.

5) With all the above, a redo of many of the maps would probably be in order.