Re: CF: the begining of crossfire

On Fri, 03 Sep 1999, Mark Wedel <mwedel@scruznet.com> wrote:
[...]
>  BTW, one of the suggestions to improve game play was to make the
> scale of the outdoor world larger.  So instead of 80 squares or
> whatever to get from navar city to scorn, it might be 800.

Yes, this is something that we should do.  And remove the instant
teleporters, so that one cannot simply jump from one city to another.
But this implies that we must first create enough maps in order to
ensure that each city has enough shops and temples so that the player
does not need to visit the other cities so often.

>  An even further suggestion was a unified scale - everything the
> same size.  So if you ran accross a house in the countryside, you
> would not see the image of a house you then enter, but instead the
> walls, door, etc would be part of the map.  This would probably
> increase the scale even more than the 10x mentioned above.

Using a unified scale for everything would be too boring: if your
character is slow, it could take you two minutes to go from one side
of Scorn to the other.  Athough this might be realistic, this wouldn't
be fun.  Also, you would loose the overview of the city because you
would not be able to see more than one or two houses at a time.

Maybe I should just quote a message written a couple of months ago:

On Tue, 01 Jun 1999, Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> >    1) Make a unified or two map scale.
>
> We need at least two scales.  This is a practical limitation, since if
> we use just one scale, enormous amounts of large houses etc. must be
> drawn.  Today we have roughly three scales: indoors, city, world.
> The world scale is not really needed.

-Raphael