Re: Classes and Races, was Re: CF: Alternate proposal: MARK the power crystals

>     It would indeed be a curse if the player didn't have complete control
> over the transformation, and simply having the shapeshifting skill wouldn't
> necessarily give them that control.  It might only be usable a certain
> number of times per game-month, depending on the player's level.  It might
> only work at night, even if they do have the skill to control it.  There
> might be a minimum amount of time before they can change again, regardless
> of skill.  There might be only a chance of success, even if all the other
> factors are favorable, so the player might have to concentrate for a while
> in order to intentionally transform.
>
>     The benefit that goes with the uncontrollable shapeshifting into a
> creature who doesn't make a particularly effective adventurer, would be
> greatly enhanced hit point regeneration.  Were-forms might be fairly good
> natural fighters at low levels, but the inability to use anything but
> amulets and potions in that form is a severe limitation.  There really isn't
> anything else I can think of that would work as well for a quadruped as it
> does for a humanoid.  Fireborn and Quetzlcouatl players at least have
> opposable thumbs or talons to aim a wand with, and are presumably capable of
> reading aloud, but even if a werewolf can read, what good is a scroll if
> your vocal cords are temporarily limited to barks and growls?

what if it were a cursed item or disease?  you get poked by a needle and,
voila, next full moon you become a werewolf or vampire for, say, 8 hours.
replace the damned instrument of woe with an instrument of werecurse:  pick
it up and until you drop it you're a were-whatsis [the whatsis portion
chosen by your natural race].

--
 Steven Lembark                                   2930 W. Palmer St.
                                                 Chicago, IL  60647