Re: World Map (was CF: the begining of crossfire)

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 11:25:00PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

> > You could just lay out `ship paths'. Eg: you get on a ship the ship then
> > just travels up the coast on a set path without user control until
> > destination is reached.  On the continent your could then sit by the
> > sea side whatching the ships sail by.  And small island ferrys, or large
> > river cossings can also be implimented.
>
>  But that takes at one interesting aspect of the game - exploring.  The other
> disadvantage is that can add up to a lot of paths (number_ports^2)
>

> > No need then to `fix' the world away from the free form it currently is.
> > And map makers still control where adventurers land on the new land.
> > Pupland especially requires you to land at the proper place on the
> > continent and not just on any coastline.
>
>  But at least that 'fix' requires some thought on map makers.   I personally
> think it would be more interesting if the world was a bit more cohesive - the
> problem that starts to happen is you get all these little island continents/maps
> because map makers like that extra control.
>
>  In terms of preventing landing in the wrong area or whatever that ruins the
> could easily be done by a few special archs.  For example, ships may require
> deep water, so you surround the island with corral reefs or whatever (shallow
> water) which ships can't wander in to.  That is certainly not an insurmountable
> problem.

I, on the opposite, would like the world to be less cohesive - there can be islands
and continents that are easy to reach, but other strange lands and mysterious places
that someone has heard of in legends, but haven't been found yet. Such a world is far
more interesting. Why should there be an (official) world map? The beginner only needs
an overview of his starting city and continent, but he shouldn't have an overview of
the whole world.

Second: For making a good quest, it is inevitable that the map makers have the control
over their maps and the island/continent they are located. This doesn't mean that
the quest maker has made the islands himself. (We should have more quests that
combine maps on different islands/continents or in different cities. Maybe
some that consider a historical/political background?) But this means that some areas
must be forbidden for ships.

Third: I see four types of ships:

1) Ferries
Ferries are like the ships we have now, they travel from one place to a fixed other place.
Maybe you have to pay for them, maybe travelling needs some time, maybe there is
some animation (ship routes by movers or other solutions).
You don't need n^2 ship routes, two or three ferries from a harbour is enough
and makes travelling more interesting: How to get from town A to island Z?

2) Ships that are dungeon maps
As now, like some pirate ships.

3) Rowboats
These boats can be lend (or bought), but are only usable in shallow waters around
the actual island. There would be none in Pupland, but you can use them to explore
the small islands around Wolfsburg.

4) Owned ships as moving appartments
Some (greater) ships are buyable (very expensive). They are like appartments
(you can store things) and they can travel around the world, apart from the
restrictions for ferries (fixed destination) or rowboats (shallow, calm waters).
Some islands (with high-level dungeons) can only be reached this way, some areas
can never be reached (corral reefs etc.). To own a ship changes the game in
many terms; it should only be allowed for experienced, rich characters.
Either you could buy it (around 100 000 platinum coins) or it is the reward of a
level 20 quest.

3) and 4) assume that the appearance of the character can change into something
different (a 1*2 rowboat, a 2*2 galleon); this will come in future versions
(shapeshifting, character on a horse, ...), but will need some time.

Michael Keuchen