Re: CF: Object decay, wear, and repair (Was Re: World Map)

Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> [Mark Wedel]
>
> >    For example, if you use stat_loss_on_death, then at least a
> >   reasonable supply of stat potions is needed.  But this could by
> >   contrary to other options where you really don't want a ready
> >   supply of those potions.)
>
> Not the best of examples, I think, just add a cheaper potion to
> restore stats towards their previous maximum, and only make it
> available when stat_loss_on_death is turned on.  Actually, I thought
> there was such potions in the game?

 There is depletion on death, and permanent stat loss on death (which was the
typical way before a few revs ago).  So I was talking about that case, where a
gain stat potion was needed to restore the stat.

> Can someone compile a list of the tunable variables?  Perhaps we can
> reach consensus for a default or at least reduce the number of
> possible combinations.

 From the config.h, with some notes by me:

/* To be removed soon (setable by player) */
/* IF this is set, then the range type will not switch to skill when
 * you use a melee weapon - this better emulates pre-skill code.
 */

#define NO_AUTO_SKILL_SWITCH
 This probably does not adversely affect gameplay.

 * ALCHEMY - enables alchemy code
	probably should always be on now

 * ALLOW_SKILLS - enables skills code.
	as per alchemy, should probably always be on.

 * CASTING_TIME - makes spells take time to cast
	by default is off.  Turning it on certainly makes it harder on
mages.

 * EXPLORE_MODE - add an explore mode method of play?
Changes play, but at servers admins option.  Should probably be removed, since
with the client/server setup, chance of someone wanting explore mode should be
reduced.

 * FULL_RING_DESCRIPTION - makes rings abilities show in inventory window
 Doesn't change game play, likely to be removed in 0.96

 * MAX_TIME - how long an internal tick is in microseconds
	Effects game play evenly.  Shorter time may mean faster reflexes.
Should probably be left in.

 * MULTIPLE_GODS - adds numerous gods to the game, with different powers
	Should probably be always on..

 * NO_CONE_PROPOGATE - makes cone spells stop at the first monster
	By default off.  Having it on would make spellcasters tougher to
play (cone spells would not go as far).  IF the number of monsters are
reduced (so you only fight a couple and not hoards), this probably won't have
any real affect.

 * NOT_PERMADEATH - should death be the final end or not?
	Changes gameplay quite a bit.

 * RANDOM_ENCOUNTERS - add in special encounter maps?
	Had a recent discussion on this.  Seems this is less likely to be
needed in the future.  Having it on does allow for an unlimited oppurtunity to
kill stuff.

 * REAL_WIZ - changes wiz stuff to be more mudlike.
	May or may not change gameplay, depending on how the wizard are implemented and
what they do.

 * RECYCLE_TMP_MAPS - use tmp maps across multiple runs?
	May go away if we just let the swapper deal with this.

 * RESURRECTION - lets players bring other dead players back to life.
	If permadeath is used, this really should be turned on also -
otherwise death is truly permanent, which is really harsh.

 * SEARCH_ITEMS - let players search for items on the ground
	Doesn't really affect gameplay.  Arguably, this should be a client issue.

 * SECURE - Allow overriding values with run time flags?
	Should probably always be on, since we now run as a server, and not as
individual players like it once was.

 * SIMPLE_EXP - uses simpler experience system
	Simplifies the exp system, and as such, changes the amount of exp awarded for
killing stuff and other tasks.

 * STAT_LOSS_ON_DEATH - toggle between stat loss or stat depletion
	changes need of gain stat potions of restoration potions.  I think
restoration/depletion is probably the way to go.  This only has an affect if
not_permadeth is enabled.  If permanent death is on (with resurrection), this
has no real affect.

 * USE_LIGHTING - enable light/darkness & light sources
	should probably always be on.  Some items are meaningless if this
	is turned off.

 * USE_SWAP_STATS - allows stat swapping for new characters
	Not a big gameplay issue.   Makes creating a character a little easier.

 * WATCHDOG - allows use of an external watchdog program
	not a big deal to make it default - only disadvantage is that it
	uses a another port.

/*  SPELLPOINT_LEVEL_DEPEND  --  Causes the spellpoint cost
 *  of spells to vary with their power.  Spells that become very
 *  powerful at high level cost more.  The damage/time of
 *  characters increases though.
 */
 by default - always on.  Plan at some time in the 0.96.x release is to do away
with the spell_params file and instead have that be setable by changing the
archetype.  As such, this can effectively be on or off by manipulating the
archetypes, by a default behaviour is still needed (if admins manipulate the
artifacts, that is implying they are mucking with the balancing aspects, so if
they do that and things become unbalance, that is their fault)

/* SPELL_ENCUMBRANCE -- If you're carrying a weapon or wearing heavy armour,
  you have a chance of fumbling your spellcasting with this on.  Formula is:
  encumbrance = 3*weapon_weight + armour_weight

 by default this is on.  Makes it harder to cast with armor, so in some sense,
it makes it harder to play a mage (since you can not wear good armor)

/* SPELL_FAILURE_EFFECTS only has meaing if SPELL_ENCUMBRANCE is defined.
 * What it does, is that when the player fails a spell, various effects
 * will happen (player is paralyzed, confused, wonder spell is cast, etc.)
 * I disabled it because I think it would make life much too hazardous
 * for low level casters.  They either need to wear light armor (which
 * means that they will get pounded on by monsters), or will get
 * confused/paralyzed/other effects often.  High level casters would
 * be mostly unaffected, since they would be casting spells that are
 * below their level.

 You can read some of my notes above.

 I've left some config options off that just deal with configuration (file,
port, etc) and not actual play.

 For many of the things above, you can look in the config.h for a more complete
descripion.  I included long description for a few since there was not any short
description.