Re: CF: Obsolete options

> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:48:45 -0700
> From: Mark Wedel <mwedel@scruznet.com>
>
>  Actually, that implementation for cones probably makes more sense.
> IT is also potentially more useful (so you can really toast the
> monsters next to you, which are the ones you want to toast - the
> ones far away are not as much a concern.)  For far away monster, use
> those nice ball spells.
>
>  I also sort of like the idea that if you are running away from a
> cone and it catches up to you, the amount of damage you will receive
> has still been reduced.

I know just how to make that change, so I'll add it to my list of
experiments and see if it works the way I think it will.

> > One way to balance this would be to increase your rate of food
> > consumption while you're regenerating instead of this 1:1 cost.
>
>  That might be more reasonable.  AT least it would result in a
> smoother consumption of food, and things like sustenance may have a
> better affect in that case.

That was a pretty trivial change.  I'm testing it now.

>  Right - the idea is not to kill the player immediately, but more
> than likely, the player will die of lack of stats and ability to
> regain stats than actual starvation.  That seems reasonable to me,
> and also gives a bit more time for the player to deal with eating
> more food.

That part will take a little more work.

>  On the new race/player thread - that could be another adjustement
> different races get.  That wraith should probably not need to eat as
> often.

I thought Wraiths already had a natural +1 sustenance.  Maybe that was
Devourers.  If they don't, I agree that they certainly should.

>  this could be done in part by always being able to buy an amulet of
> lifesaving.  Now it could be debated whether there should perhaps be
> something like that, but instead return the player to town, since if
> you are really hosed (say get trapped in a dungeon), that lifesaving
> amulet doesn't do you any good.

Amulet of Recall?  Senses that you're about to die and yanks you back
to the Scorn town square?  (Or wherever your Recall point is set.)  As
opposed to the rarer and more expensive Amulet of Lifesaving that
basically casts Restoration, allowing you to keep fighting and
hopefully complete your quest instead of aborting it.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer:#include <std_disclaim.sig>