Re: CF: Bitwise vs. integer operations

Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> [dragonm@leech.org]
>
> >   Does anybody even run Crossfire on MIPS machines?  :)
>
> Yes, of course, but not recently personally.  I use the Solaris
> machines (SPARC) a lot more than the IRIX machines these days.

 Back when I had a crossfire server on whitestar.pyrsonal.org, that was a sni
rm600 with an r4400 in it (mips).  I actually ran it in 64 bit mode for a while
to see what problems may show up.  pyrsonal.pyrsonal.org (which I no longer
directly maintain) is an intel box running solaris 7 (believe it is a standard
pentium).

 My main developement maching at home is a pentium II.

 Note that the big issues for performance will likely be people running servers
with lots of accesses.  Improving performance on my home system is not
important, as with even the client and server running on the same system, it
consumes less than 25% of the cpu (probably more like 10%).

 But to get a little more back on thread - I did profile crossfire quite a while
back.  The big costs are the object processing loops (which is why I originally
split off active objects from non active objects, since that was a major
reduction in the number of objects it had to traverse as well as do floating
point lookups to see if there was some speed value to add).  But a lot of time
is still there.

 I don't think I have done a profile run since the client/server split.  My
guess would be the event loop would still get hit a lot (since it is traversed
each tick), but also some areas like the map compaction logic on the server side
I could see as getting a lot of cpu cycles).