Re: CF: animate_weapon() fixes

> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:09:25 +0200
> From: Jan Echternach <echter@informatik.uni-rostock.de>
>
> server/spell_effect.c: animate_weapon:  Bugfixes: Correctly unapply
> weapon.  Don't set FLAG_APPLIED directly on weapon in golem, but use
> apply_special().  Don't call esrv_send_item() when caster is not a player
> (fixes server crash if monster casts this spell).

Please stop "fixing" animate_weapon without discussing the changes
first.

There were very specific reasons I did some of those things, and I
have several layers of changes in my own version that probably fixed
many of the things you're calling bugs, but I don't have time right
now to keep going through all of it and merging files by hand.

I tried calling apply_special for the golem to apply the weapon, but
decided to set FLAG_APPLIED directly instead for several very specific
reasons, particularly the fact that the golem should not be affected
directly by the properties of the weapon, since the golem _IS_ the
weapon.  All of those effects have already been accounted for and MUST
NOT be counted twice.  Therefore, animate_weapon calling apply_special
is a bug, not a fix.

If the new apply functions are somewoh able to handle this situation
correctly, I appologize.  I haven't had time to read all your new
apply code and figure out exactly what has changed, and I don't expect
to have time to do so this month.

Please, just ask whether anyone else is working on something before
you "fix" it.

            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org
Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email  ==  http://www.cauce.com

Disclaimer: The above opinions aren't even mine

Quote of the Day:
Favorite *Actual* Error Message #2:
Keyboard Error.  Press <F1> to resume.