Re: CF: Re: apply() cleanup

Jan Echternach wrote:

> 32 bit values overflow in about one year when they are incremented 100
> times per second.  If a player is in a room with many spellcasters,
> several thousand active objects from cone and ball spells are normal.
> I fear that ob_count will overflow some day, provided the server gets
> more stable.

 It is possible.  If we actually get to the point of servers being up a year, we
can re-examine possible overflow at that time.  Note that not just the crossfire
server needs to be up that long, but also the hardware it is running on.  While
not impossible, I'd put that in the unlikely category.  I think for now we can
assume the op->count will remain unique, and if we do get a to a point where it
may not be, we re-examine it (perhaps making it 64 bit or the like)

> >  closed_trapdoors - might as well return immediately with no processing since it
> > isn't going to change instaneously.
>
> Do you mean to never process objects with FLAG_WALK_ON below a closed
> trapdoor?

 Hmmm - that is a bit tougher.  Either way, you sort of get different behavior.
On one hand, many times things like buttons are buried beneath floors and are
activated when a players move onto them.  On the other, it could be argued that
the trap door should act to control those things.  I don't really have a good
answer on that.

> I don't care if swords may fall on the top of a player.  The
> interesting question is:  If there is a rune of shocking below the
> closed/open/blocked trapdoor, should the rune damage a player stepping
> on that map square?

 Another tough question - I would probably say yes in the case of an open trap
door or blocked trap door (I will consider open & blocked as basically the same,
just in the case of a blocked one, we can not move the player).  The answer to a
closed trap door would be the same as answer above, which I really don't have a
good answer for what the right behavour should be.