Re: CF: Map FAQ

Doug wilder wrote:

> Can sombody write up a short Map makers FAQ sheet?
>
> This should include how to bind the map to a spot on the game map. (i.e. a
> house in Scorn so that you can enter it)

 There is no FAQ yet, but I'll answer the questions in hopes that someone may
compile one.

 The editor works like this:

 You middle click over an item in the map.  This will then have that space show
up in the main crossedit window (the one which also have all the items to choose
from, as well as the pick and walls button.)

 Middle click over an item in that look window, and you get a pop window showing
the object attributes.  Many objects have specific values that are shown in a
friendly way - all values can be tweeked by entering the variable and value name
in the 'variable window'.  Ie, an item may not have the Str field displayed, but
you can enter 'Str 30' in the variable window, hit apply, and that object now
has strength 30.

 So from that basic operation, to link objects:

 Load up the map you want to link to.  Select (or add) the object you want to
link it to.  Enter the path (ie, /city/city, /map/whatever) where the map is, as
well as the x & y coordinates.  On the other map, do the reverse.

 Note that path names are relative to the map directory, which is why /city/city
works.  If you leave the first slash off (ie, do 'house1'), it searches for that
map in the same directory the map it is linked from is.

> How to link items in the game. (i.e Handle "A" opens Door "A")

 As above.  Select the object, and it shows a connected field.  Enter a numeric
value.  Select the object you want it linked to (must be on the same map, and
something that is linkable in that way), and enter the same connected value.

> Some of you seem to be much better at making maps than I am and i have to
> struggle through to figure these things out. If there where a general FAQ on
> how to do it maybe, some of the newer players could make some maps and that
> way we could expand the game. I realize that not all the maps are going to
> be all that good. But since we now have a MAP CZAR we should submit them to
> him so he can go over them and if they make the grade be placed in the
> regular game.

 If you haven't already, look at the doc/mapguide file.