CF: Fix for Wizard crashes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 03:17:11 +0200
From: Norbert Irmer <norbert.irmer@heim9.tu-clausthal.de>
To: leaf@real-time.com,
    rte-crossfire@listserv.real-time.com
Subject: Fix for Wizard crashes

Hi,

Rick could you please forward this to the crossfire mailing list ?

Jan Echternach wrote:

> On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 05:21:04AM -0700, John Cater wrote:
> > I think it may be when a wizard summons something like a vampire...

> Thanks for this hint.  I could reproduce the problem now.  The wizards
> are not the problem.  It's a vampire that is crashing the server.
> Vampires
>
>  a) can have weapons
>  b) can have the animate weapon spell
>
> which means that animate_weapon() doesn't return early and gets to the
> point where it crashes the server reliably.  There are some unconditional
> esrv_send_item() calls...

I looked a bit deeper into this, and made the following simple changes
to "animate_weapon()" in "server/spell_effect.c" (i just added a few new
lines marked with a "+").

But this alone wasn't sufficient. When you left and reentered a map which
contains animated weapons the server still crashed, because it couldn't
find the animation for e.g. "animated dagger" in the saved map file.

So I had to make the following change to "find_animation()" in "common/anim.c" too:

After these changes I experienced no further crashes.

CHANGED PART OF "anim.c"

int find_animation(char *name)
{
    Animations search, *match;

+    if( !name || (strcmp(name,"(null)")==0) ) return 0;

    search.name = name;

    match = (Animations*)bsearch(&search, animations, (num_animations+1),
		sizeof(Animations), (int (*)())anim_compare);

    if (match) return match->num;
    LOG(llevError,"Unable to find animation %s\n", name);
    return 0;
}

CHANGED PART OF "spell_effect.c"

int animate_weapon( ..... )

  /* spell-dependent finishing touches and descriptive text */
  switch(spellnum) {

  case SP_STAFF_TO_SNAKE:
    /* now, remove object from op inv, insert into golem */
    remove_ob(weapon);
    /*    apply_special(op, weapon, AP_UNAPPLY);*/
    insert_ob_in_ob(weapon,tmp);
    fix_player(op);
+    if(op->type==PLAYER)
+    {
      esrv_send_item(op, weapon);
      new_draw_info(NDI_UNIQUE, 0,op,"Your staff becomes a serpent and leaps to the ground!");
+    }
    break;

  case SP_ANIMATE_WEAPON:
    /* now, remove object from op inv, insert into golem */
    remove_ob(weapon);
    /*    apply_special(op, weapon, AP_UNAPPLY);*/
    insert_ob_in_ob(weapon,tmp);
    fix_player(op);
+    if(op->type==PLAYER)
+    {
      esrv_send_item(op, weapon);
      new_draw_info_format(NDI_UNIQUE, 0,op,"Your %s flies from your hand and hovers in mid-air!",
weapon->name);
+    }
    if(tmp->name) free_string(tmp->name);
    sprintf(buf, "animated %s", weapon->name);
    tmp->name = add_string(buf);

    tmp->face = weapon->face;
    tmp->animation_id = weapon->animation_id;
    tmp->anim_speed = weapon->anim_speed;
    tmp->last_anim = weapon->last_anim;
    tmp->state = weapon->state;
    if(QUERY_FLAG(weapon, FLAG_ANIMATE)) {
      SET_FLAG(tmp,FLAG_ANIMATE);
    } else {
      CLEAR_FLAG(tmp,FLAG_ANIMATE);
    }
    update_ob_speed(tmp);
    SET_FLAG(weapon,FLAG_APPLIED); /* so it can take acid damage */
    break;

  case SP_DANCING_SWORD:
+    if(op->type==PLAYER) {
      new_draw_info(NDI_UNIQUE, 0,op,"A magical sword appears in mid air, eager to slay your foes
for you!");
+    }
    break;
  default: