Crossfire Archive

Re: CF: Re: Crossfire playbalance

On Mar 12,  1:36pm, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Re: Crossfire playbalance
> On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Zachariah Baum wrote:
>
> > I for one prefer the struggle at lower levels of play.  If there were
> >   server configuration options that could tweak these values, then
different
> >   servers could be for different styles of play.
> > Comments?
>
> This is an excellent idea.  I for one have always prefered permadeath but
> have had it off for a bit due to the difficulty getting resurections.
> I'll be adding the odd altar of resurection and turning permadeath back on
> on my server.  So yeah, play options for the server are a good thing.

 IT depends however.  One problem with a lot of compile time options is that
there tends to be higher code maintenance (have to support standard death and
permadeath).  It also makes it harder to distribute binary versions.

 The removal of stat potions from shops will just be done by changing the
treasures file.  I don't want to add conditionals into that file (if munchkin,
then add these items to the treasurelist type of thing), and I am also not sure
how much I want to distribute multiple treasure files (person A could not like
any, and say this one is more refined, so it should be added, and person b
could say he doesn't really like file X, here are some minor changes, etc..)
 So in that regard, it will probably be up to the server admin to adjust the
treasure files as needed.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com