Re: [TCLUG:5248] What a day...

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, grogon wrote:

> I'm too new at this to know any better...what does that command do?

chmod -R 755 * will recursively change every file in the directory
structure so that it has read-write-execute permissions for the owner of
the file, and read-execute for the group and other (basically everyone
else on the system). See man chmod for more...

What I did was type chmod -R 644 * in my root directory, which did
basically the same thing, except it turned off execute permissions for
every file on my system -- which can be a problem if you want to run
programs! (Such as, say, chmod, to maybe, say, change the permissions back
the way they were...<g>)

Luke