Re: [TCLUG:9589] Diamond RIO, MP3 ripper and linux

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:
> I am total mp3 newbie. What is the difference between raw ripped source and
> the BladeEnc'd source ?
>
> I am using grip, which I uses cdparanoia, which generates .wav (?) files
> that are passed to BladeEnc for encoding (?) to mp3 is this right?
>
> Will get a a severe loss in quality?

You've got all that right.  :)  Raw ripped source == uncompressed wav
file. BladeEnc'd source == mp3 it outputs, which is a heavily compressed
version of a wav. I find that with BladeEnc, if you use anything below
192kbps for the mp3 output, you lose quality. But, if you go 192 or above,
it sounds great. I don't know what grip compresses it to by default
(128kbps is a lot smaller, so most people probably use that, or maybe
160).. but on the bladeenc command line, you just specify -192 to compress
at 192kbps. There is probably a way to set that in the grip configuration
files.

----
Nate Carlson
the infinite loop