Re: [TCLUG:14127] temporary host reroute?

What you're really after is a High Availability configuration on your
firewalls.  You should check the Linux HA project:
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/linux-ha/High-Availability-HOWTO.html

You can accomplish some level of HA/Redundancy using a duct tape method by
running routing protocols on your firewalls and peering with your external
router.  This can be done with something like OSPF.  The routes will be
shared between your firewalls and routers so in the event of a failure,
the external router will effectively "Open Shortest Path First" and route
the traffic to the online firewall.

This can create a problem for your internal networks as you now have two
default gateways (FW1 and FW2).  You *should* be able to configure the
network configs of each host on the network to route to the secondary GW
in the event of a failure but if you've got any Win or Macs inside, I
wouldn't count on it actually working (of course, this won't be a problem
if your firewalls are sandwiched by routers).

I don't really like this method as running routing protocols on firewalls
adds another element to the mix which can fail.  What's more, your router
admin may not want to peer with you.  In that case, you'll want to
investigate the HA configuration.  I've designed and admin'd both types
of firewall clouds and can say that the HA config scales much better
overall (despite the challenging initial setup).

There's a number of security concerns with this type of setup as well
(specifically the configuration of anti-spoofing rules on your firewalls).
The network architecture, security design and firewall configs for
this type of config require a little more attention span than e-mail can
provide.  Let me know if you're interested in discussing this elsewhere.

Peter Lukas